Microchip Technology Inc., via its Microsemi subsidiary, launched its Smart Embedded Vision initiative that helps with designing intelligent machine vision systems with Microchip’s low-power PolarFire® FPGAs.
With the launch of the initiative, Microchip has supplemented intelligent vision systems with the following design requirements:
- Serial Digital Interface (SDI) IP – Available in multiple speeds: HD-SDI (1.485 Gbps, 720p, 1080i), 3G-SDI (2.970 Gbps, 1080p60), 6G-SDI (5.94 Gbps, 2Kp30) and 12G-SDI (11.88 Gbps, 2Kp60).
- 1.5 Gbps per lane MIPI-CSI-2 IP – Connects image sensors to FPGAs. The PolarFire family supports speeds up to 1.5 Gbps per lane and transmits speeds up to 1 Gbps per lane.
- 2.3 Gbps per lane SLVS-EC Rx – Users can integrate a two-lane or eight-lane SLVS-EC Rx FPGA core.
- Multi-rate Gigabit MAC – Supporting 1, 2.5, 5 and 10 Gbps speeds over an Ethernet PHY, enabling the initiative to meet the need for Universal Serial 10 GE Media Independent Interface (USXGMII) MAC IP with auto-negotiation.
- 6.25 Gbps CoaXPress v1.1 Host and Device IP – Microchip will support CoaXPress v2.0, which doubles the bandwidth to 12.5 Gbps.
- HDMI 2.0b – Supports resolutions up to 4K at 60 fps transmit and 1080p at 60 fps receive.
- PolarFire FPGA Imaging IP bundle – Includes the MIPI-CSI-2, as well as image processing IPs for edge detection, alpha blending and image enhancement for color, brightness and contrast adjustments.
- Expanded Partner Ecosystem – Features Alma Technology, Bitec and artificial intelligence partner ASIC Design Services, supplying a Core Deep Learning (CDL) framework that initiates a power-efficient Convolutional Neural Network (CNN)-based imaging and video platform for embedded and edge computing applications.
The following IP cores for implementation on the PolarFire FPGA Video and Imaging Kit are available immediately:
- HD-SDI (1.485 Gbps, 720p, 1080i)
- 3G-SDI (2.970Gbps, 1080p60)
- Two-lane SLVS-EC Rx FPGA core
- 6.25 Gbps CoaXPress v1.1
- HDMI 2.0 4k at 60 fps transmit and 1080p at 60 fps receive
These IP cores will be gradually added and supported by the end of 2019:
- 6G-SDI (5.94 Gbps, 2Kp30)
- 12G-SDI (11.88 Gbps, 2Kp60)
- USXGMII MAC
- Eight-lane SLVS-EC Rx
- 6.25 Gbps CoaXPress v2.0
- HDMI 2.0b 4K at 60 fps receive
“Providing a suite of IP and hardware offerings alongside our partner ecosystem is essential to our clients’ ability to innovate while meeting their production schedules,” said VP of product marketing for the FPGA business unit for Microchip’s Microsemi subsidiary, Shakeel Peera. “This is especially important because of the rapid evolution of machine and computer vision, driven by the growing adoption of AI, and the need to democratize edge-based vision systems.”
PolarFire Imaging IP Bundle is available for $1,499 and the MPF300-VIDEO-KIT is available for $999.
Learn more at www.microchip.com.