Embedded Computing Design's Best in Show Awards recognize innovative solutions for embedded, IoT, and machine learning engineers that will be showcased at the Embedded World 2019 Exhibition & Conference. Here, we outline nominees for the 2019 Best in Show Award in the category of Wired and Wireless Networking, and IoT.
- Digi International Digi XBee3 Cellular LTE-M/NB-IoT
- Lantronix xPico 270
- Nordic Semiconductor nRF9160 SiP Low-Power Cellular IoT Module
- Silicon Labs Wireless Gecko Wi-Fi Portfolio
- Snips Satellite
- SYS TECH electronic AG Short-Range Radio Node sysWORXX SRN-300 with Meshnet Functionality
- Wind River Edge Sync
The Digi XBee3 Cellular LTE-M/NB-IoT module is an innovative, feature-rich product designed for flexibility, cost-management, security, and rapid deployment.
- Flexibility: One module provides support for both LTE-M and NB-IoT networks.
- Cost management: Advanced power-saving features support low-power applications, reducing battery management and cellular data costs.
- Security: The module's built-in Digi TrustFence security, identity, and data privacy features use more than 175 controls to protect against new and evolving cyber threats.
- Rapid deployment: The module is FCC certified, carrier end-device certified, and CE/RED certified for international drop-in deployment. Additionally, an entire network of modules can be configured rapidly with integrated software.
This tiny module is a combo dual-band (2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth gateway. It supports enterprise security and secure boot technology. It is also one of the only combo modules on the market that supports 802.11AC for higher speeds and 802.11R for fast roaming.
Nordic's nRF9160 is an ultra-compact, low-power, global, multi-mode LTE-M/NB-IoT SiP with an integrated Arm Cortex-M33 host processor, Arm TrustZone security, and assisted GPS. The SiP integrates a complete low-power cellular IoT system into a tiny 10 mm x 16 mm x 1.2 mm package that includes modem, transceiver, RF front end, dedicated application processor, Flash memory, power management, and crystal and passive components. The product supports global operation through Nordic's multimode LTE-M/NB-IoT modem, SAW-less transceiver, and custom RF front-end from Qorvo. The integration of Arm TrustZone and Arm CryptoCell-310 security IP ensures the highest level of protection.
Silicon Labs' low-power Wireless Gecko Wi-Fi portfolio is designed to simplify the design of power-sensitive Wi-Fi products, including battery-powered IP security cameras, point-of-sale scanners, asset trackers, and personal medical devices. The portfolio includes three device types:
- The pre-certified WGM160P module with an onboard Gecko MCU, integrated antenna, large memory (2 MB flash and 512K RAM), and extensive peripheral capabilities including Ethernet and capacitive touch.
- The WFM200 module, the smallest pre-certified Wi-Fi SiP device with an integrated antenna and a perfect fit for space-constrained designs.
- The WF200 transceiver IC, offering a cost-effective way to add Wi-Fi to existing high-volume designs.
Snips Satellite is an embedded, lightweight voice-streaming solution that runs on microcontrollers and allows OEMs to easily create secure, closed-circuit voice networks. By streaming commands and queries to CPU-powered hubs and devices, OEMs can use Snips Satellite "nodes" to effectively extend the reach of their local and offline voice control up to 300 meters without any latency or lag. Snips was recently awarded the "Best of Innovation" prize for Embedded Technology at CES 2019.
The functionality of the Short Range Radio Node (SRN) includes both sensors and actuators. In addition to sending and receiving data, control tasks can also be implemented within the node. Digital outputs with bistable relays are available for this purpose. Any physical quantities of a machine can thus be connected directly to the node. On the software side, a software stack from Wirepas in Finland is used. This makes it possible to activate the node only when necessary. The result is enormously low energy consumption and thus a long battery life of up to three years.
Wind River Edge Sync is a software platform for remote over-the-air (OTA) updates and software lifecycle management. It allows for rapid, safe, and secure updates to software and firmware throughout the vehicle's entire lifetime, from initial development through to end-of-life. Edge Sync enables fast, cost-effective solutions for software-related updates, corrections to security vulnerabilities, and feature-related recalls. Edge Sync also provides carmakers with a platform for post-deployment monetization leveraging insights from vehicle data, and a way to extend a car's value with the introduction of new features over time.
For more information on any of this year's Best in Show product nominations for the Embedded World 2019 Conference & Exhibition, contact Rich Nass, Executive Vice President and Brand Director, Embedded Computing Design.
For more information on the Best in Show Awards, visit bestinshow.embedded-computing.com.
For more information on the Embedded World 2019 Exhibition & Conference, visit www.embedded-world.de/en.